Saturday, June 11, 2011

Teen Literature and Social Networking


I think that most people will agree that social networking and other elements of Web 2.0 has become a vital part of the world of today's teens. The Millennial Generation as dived into these tools with pleasure. As a result, they have a higher sense of immediacy and access that surpasses the young people of previous generations. Cell phones, email, and blogs have become such a major part of their lives that they are also sneaking into teen literature. You can check out a book list I have at the library I work at that highlights titles connected with such titles.

There is a brand new one coming out this summer that highlights Facebook in a unigue way. The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler. Set in 1996, Emma is just getting her first computer. As with so many people in that position, the computer comes with a CD-ROM with software to connect them (via dial MODEM) to AOL. She, and her best friend Josh are excited beyond belief, but something strange happens when they log-on for the first time. They find themselves on a strange blue and white page. At the top of the page, it says Facebook, and there is a picture of what looks like an older version of Emma. After browsing around for a while, it turns out that it is the Facebook page of Emma some 15 years in the future. She has married, but her marriage is not going well, and her friendship with Josh seems to have totally faded away.

As you can imagine, Emma and Josh find themselves adjusting their aspirations in the hopes of improving their situations. As they do so, they continue to visit Emma's future Facebook page, only to find out that they have generally made things worse. What does this really mean and how will they resolve their problems...

Well, I wish I could tell you that I actually knew! I heard about this book at the RI Library Association conference in a session on up-and-coming teen novels. The booktalk was awesome, and it left me salivating at the the thought of getting my hands on it. What is ironic is I am about the same age as Josh and Emma so it will bring me back in time while also being current. If anyone knows a way to get my hands on a preview copy, I would be happy to know.

I do wonder if today's kids will connect with mid-1990's tech, even if it is only as a plot device to set up the neat modern-based tale. How do you think they will receive the book? Do you want to read it as much as I do?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I might have to track down a copy of this book myself! Sounds like a fun read ...

    I too remember the heady days of AOL chatrooms and dialup modems; I wonder what the 1996 version of me would think if he somehow got to view my Facebook page?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! When I started reading your "book talk," I immediately thought of the movie 13 Going on 30...one of my personal favorites! Your questions really make me think...I wonder if the book is implying that how the characters use social media affects their lives in the future?? I am really curious to read this book!

    ReplyDelete